○ The legend is true. The group took their name from a sex toy in the William S. Burroughs novel ‘Naked Lunch’ after they were told by management to come up with a name “by the end of the day”.
○ Band leaders Donald Fagen and Becker were jazz fans who had no use for rock until they heard the Beatles. For Fagen, it was ‘Ticket to Ride’; for Becker, ‘No Reply.’
○ Comedian Chevy Chase attended college with Becker and Fagen, and played drums in their early band, the ‘Leather Canary’.
○ Jeff Porcaro was a drummer for Steely Dan, and later left to form Toto. Michael McDonald was a keyboard player and did background vocals, and later he and Steely Dan guitarist Jeff ‘Skunk’ Baxter joined the Doobie Brothers.
○ They were inducted into the Rock And Roll Hall Of Fame in 2001.